Without this process our genes would almost be useless. DNA can replicate itself, which is how complex organisms are multicellular yet still the same individual organism. DNA can also be transcribed into RNA. When I first started my degree I thought all RNA was translated into proteins. Turns out it's not! While 90% of the RNA transcribed is made into proteins (or so my textbook tells me), the other 10% can be made into structural components of molecules (like ribosomes).
I really can't think of much more to say on this topic, I think the picture covers it all! Do you know the difference between transcription and translation? What about the difference between a polypeptide and a protein (I just learned this today)?
I forgot to answer yesterday's questions!! Good job Sky Luke Corbelli for answering both them correctly! It is estimated that humans have around 20,000 to 22,000 genes. This is a significant decrease from the estimated 30,000 to 32,000 they thought before the accomplishment of the human genome project (pre 2003). Plants are more genetically rich than humans because they have much more redundancy in their genome. They still haven't figured out the significance of redundant genes.
And this is for my sister: C is for Connor!!