Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Dead Batteries

Murphy's Law: whatever can go wrong, will.

Before the exam today we were all joking around about our calculators dying in the middle of the test. Some even shared stories of how that had happened before. I once changed my batteries before the SAT's only to have it die as soon as I turned it on, no "Batteries low, recommended battery change" warning or anything. So we laughed off our nerves and started.

Then my calculator died.

Has something like this ever happened to you?

1 comment:

Jeremy Bates said...

SAT? I used to teach that. As I travel around the world I sometimes teach English and other 'things' to the locals.

As for the calculator meltdown, what bad timing! I am in the Philippines currently and am doing some traveling and research. Your unfortunate incident reminds me of the so-called 'brownouts' here. Just as you really need to be doing something constructive on the Internet, the power fails. If it isn't that, it's the deathly slow Internet itself.

Your experience reminds me of an old saying (and I don't recall who said it) that went something like: "If you believe it, it will happen".