Friday, September 2, 2011

"Life, the Universe, and Everything"

Today has been a rather interesting day. Classes...oh classes. I now have a new way of thinking about the world around me thanks to my Belief and Thought class. I've always understood that people in the past have done wrong things simply because that was what was considered correct in the past, for example the Salem witch trials. But I never thought to question the way we do things today. What are people going to think about our society and how we conduct our every day lives 300 years from now, if we even exist that long into the future? Are they going to look at our experiments and think, "Thats the dumbest thing ever, why would they even begin to believe that?" just like we do with some past ideas now? It's a very tough idea to handle for me. I can't even imagine what will be going on in 300 years or what knowledge they will have obtained by then.

On to easier thoughts to process. I look at my life right now and wonder what will happen in the future. I don't even know what I want to do after I graduate. I've always thought to myself that being a genetic counselor was my overall goal but I just keep hearing that bioinformatics is the future of America and there are so many things that one could do with that degree. If I go on to become a genetic counselor am I wasting my degree on something far less than what it has the potential to be? I'm a third year undergraduate student and I'm already learning how to sequence DNA. I think that's pretty awesome. Or maybe I should stop thinking about what I should be doing with my degree and start thinking what I want to do with my degree.

Another thing - my love life. Oh what a roller coaster that has been lately. I'm a very shy person so meeting new people is by far one of the hardest things to do, which makes finding someone even harder. I know they say you'll find the perfect someone when you are least expecting it but come on. I've been waiting a while and I'm starting to get a little impatient. I see people starting to settle down, a lot of my friends are even getting married. It makes me nervous that I won't find my soul mate. Plus there's the fact that all my friends seem to find someone with no problem whatsoever (since when was whatsoever a real word?). At any given time my roommates have at least one guy with a crush on them. If I can get someone to have a crush on me it's a downright miracle. What am I lacking that these other girls are not? I've been told by a guy friend to just hang out with ugly people but I think all my friends are beautiful so that one's going to be a challenge. I just don't know. There's really nothing I can do except focus on school right now, but in the back of my mind I will always be waiting for my knight in shining armor to come find me.

The quote which I named this post after is a famous quote from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, and is also the name of a book later on in that series. I would definitely recommend reading all his works.

No comments: